June 25, 2013
June 20, 2013 - The Northeast Waste Management Officials’ Association (NEWMOA) announces the release of “Pollution Prevention and Assistance Tracker,” or P2@, version 3.2.7. This free software tool is designed to help pollution prevention and environmental assistance programs from state, local, county, and tribal governments, non-profits, and universities track their activities and the associated outcomes. It includes sections for tracking:
• Work with individual clients (such as on-site visits, grants, awards, certifications, recognition, and research)
• Educational and outreach materials
• Workshops, conferences, and other training events
• Responses to information requests
• Sector-based, geographic-based, or others initiatives
P2@ (formerly called the Pollution Prevention and Compliance Assistance Metrics Database Software) enables programs to track the results associated with these activities, including changes in awareness and behavioral, environmental, and economic outcomes. Because each pollution prevention and assistance program is different, the software can be customized to best suit each program’s needs.
The recent upgrades to P2@ include:
• A new section to help programs to track initiatives that involve a variety of assistance and P2 activities and bundle results for the entire initiative
• A more user friendly interface that is easier to navigate and can be streamlined
• Easier ways for programs to customize the database tool and allow them to eliminate sections that are not relevant for their program
• Clearer indicators of required fields and smarter error handling
• A new custom report that aggregates data according to the fields in the National P2 Results Data System so programs can use P2@ to collect data for reporting to P2 Results
February 5, 2013
The purpose of this Report, A Cornerstone of Environmental Sustainability: Pollution Prevention Results from 2007 to 2009, is to present national results from government agencies involved in promoting P2 approaches for the years 2007-2009. To view the Report.
March 4, 2009
July 8, 2008
In 2005, NPPR began collecting data from pollution prevention programs throughout the United States for a comprehensive evaluation of the achievements of these programs from 2001 to 2003. In September 2006, NPPR released “Pollution Prevention Produces Results.”
“Pollution Prevention Produces Results: Waste Reductions, Resource Conservation, and Cost Savings” is a collection and evaluation of the pollution prevention (P2) efforts of 29 state, regional, and local governments in the United States from 2001 to 2003. the documented achievements for those three years include: over 6 billion pounds of air and water pollution as well as hazardous and solid waste that are no longer being released into the environment; a reduction in energy usage by 1.2 billion kiloWatt hours; and conservation of potable water of over 44 billion gallons. The resultant cost savings and economic benefit add up to more than $500 million. This is about 5 times the total budget for these P2 programs for the corresponding time period, and more than 25 times the federal investment.